Contribute To The Future Direction of Habitat GTA
There is an exciting atmosphere of change at Habitat for Humanity GTA that requires motivated and disciplined leadership. As a result, we are looking for individuals who are passionate about our mission who wish to become Members of our organization or who have an interest in joining our Board of Directors. This is an excellent opportunity to formally participate in the mission of the organization, and to contribute to best practices in organizational governance, effectiveness and impact.
Become a Member
Applications are now available for 2018-2019 Membership of Habitat for Humanity Greater Toronto Area!
Why become a member?
As a member, you will play an integral role in the governance of Habitat GTA!
Members are distinct from volunteers, donors and other Habitat partners, in that members have important legal rights and obligations as determined by legislation governing not-for profit corporations. These rights include, among other things, the right to:
- Attend and participate in annual and other meetings of members
- Receive and review the annual financial statements
- Vote on matters put forward for approval, including the election of directors
- Hear about any other business, including reports on Habitat GTA's progress
- Approve the by-laws and any amendments
- Approve significant changes to the purposes of Habitat GTA
Who can become a member?
In order to be a member, you must:
(1) be at least 18 years of age;
(2) live, work or volunteer in Habitat GTA’s geographical area (Toronto, York Region, and/or Brampton-Caledon);
(3) not fall within any of the groups specified in “who cannot become a member” as shown below.
Who cannot become a member?
- Partner Families with an outstanding mortgage, or who have had an outstanding mortgage within the past 12 months
- Employees or former employees within 12 months of their departure from Habitat GTA
- Contractors who provide or have provided services to Habitat GTA within the past 12 months
- A spouse, child, or parent of individual(s) who falls within the above groups
*Note: 12 month rule refers to the applicant having at least 12 months between their previous financial interest and the date of their application.
How to become a member?
For NEW and RENEWING members, application forms must be submitted on or before November 1st, 2017:
Fill out an application form here. Applications can be submitted:
- By email as an attachment to email@example.com
- By mail c/o Cveta Manassieva, Strategy Realization Officer, 155 Bermondsey Road, Toronto, ON, M4A 1X9
- By fax c/o Cveta Manassieva, Strategy Realization Officer, fax: 416-916-2333
- In person, to the front desk of either of our three office locations